27 February 2007

Afghan Naan Recipe

This is my very favorite flatbread recipe. I especially like it with this salsa. This is based on the Afghan Home-style Naan from Flatbreads and Flavors.

2 tsp yeast
1/2 c warm water
1 c plain yogurt
1 c boiling water
5-6 c whole wheat flour
2 T oil
2 tsp salt

Combine the yeast and water in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the boiling water and the yogurt and let cool till it's just warm about not hot (so you don't kill the yeast). Add the yogurt to the yeast, then stir in 3 cups of the flour. Stir for 2 minutes in the same direction to develop the gluten, then cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes or longer.

Stir in the oil and salt, then add enough flour to make a nice dough and knead till it's smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Let rise till doubled, about an hour.

Preheat a baking stone on the lowest rack of the oven to 450. Take all the other oven racks out of the oven. Punch down the dough and divide into 6-8 pieces, depending on how large you want the breads to be. Roll out one round into a circle or oval or rectangle as you like about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Slash the top of the round with a sharp knife (try not to cut all the way through) to keep it from pocketing and slide or slap onto the hot stone. Cook till beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.

5 comments:

ambar said...

mmmmmm I am trying this recipe!!!

ram said...

I reviewed this recipe very carefully. This calls for 5-6 cups of wheat flour. uses only 3. with 3 it sounds pretty good. this correction is necessary.
If you use bread maker substitute 2 1/2 cups of bread flour or all purpose flour and 1/2 cup of wheat flour.

ram said...

I have made at least 100 breads in the machine. and a lot of flat bread. I would use at the final stage a painting of white egg on flat bread.

Amira said...

I've brushed somme flatbreads with egg, some I don't. I prefer this particular recipe without the egg. But I'm sure some would like it with the egg wash.

And the 5-6 cups of wheat flour has always worked for me. Bread usually calls for around 3 cups of flour for each cup of liquid, so only three cups of flour would be too little for the 2-cup combination of water and yogurt.

Anonymous said...

I think ram misread the recipe. It was start with 3 cups and THEN ADD to make a nice dough. This would be the extra 2-3 cups.